Friday, July 29, 2011

Can You Pay It Forward?

I crochet.  I like to keep my hands busy.  I feel less guilty doing something 'constructive' while watching TV (oh, I think I hear my dear Momma's voice!) and crocheting is just about as crafty as I get.   I make afghans, baby blankets and the like, and once a year or so I pick a charity and mail them out.  Dropped stitches or no, so far no charity has turned away a box.

I have an old friend who waits until the after Christmas sales (we are talking the SERIOUS SALES) and buys up all the blankets he can find.  He then drives the streets of San Francisco, passing out warmth and comfort to folks who can use all the warmth and comfort they can get.

I have an east coast cousin who just returned from a two week visit to North Dakota where she joined with the Red Cross to aid flood victims.  I am not sure what she did there but I AM sure that those folks were glad to have her...and she, of course, earned a twinkling little star in her crown.  Win-win.

Truth is, the giver always gets much more than the receiver.  Not only are there stories and bragging rights galore (my cousin has dinner party conversation fodder for years to come), but it just feels REALLY GOOD. 

Many folks in the “retirement bracket” have the opportunity to pay it forward, and for some of us it may be the FIRST opportunity to do so in a busy life of career juggling, child rearing and those other complications that seem to overtake us during our youth.  If you are a bit less pressed for time now and looking for such an opportunity, take a peek at these two valuable websites.  Serve.gov and VolunteerMatch.org both allow visitors to search by zip code.   And both cover lots and lots of charity ground.


Here is the first question ever posed by seniorish (though surely not the last).  Do you have a favorite charity?  Or a way that you have chosen to pay it forward?  Or maybe just an idea of how you would like to "give back" when things settle down in your life?  Post it here and I will pass the word.

5 comments:

  1. I think I'd enjoy reading to older or blind people, or to children. I'm a pretty good storyteller (and am very good with sound effects, just ask my grandchildren). I used to think I'd want to teach or tutor, but as I've grown older I find I've lost the essential patience for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure that your sound effects are stunning. Reading is a VERY doable option. There are probably 4 easy drive locations from my home in North Phoenix that need such, and I am sure there are plenty in your corner of Virginia as well.
    Speaking of your corner, as the daughter of a Naval Officer I spent some time there while he was stationed with the Joint Chiefs.
    Thank you so much for giving my ego (and analytics) a little boost by taking the time and trouble to comment. After almost two weeks of blogging, I am still trying to convince my friends and family to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a plan to me...thinking of little ones like puppies, kittens, and kids. We'll see...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Starr, don't worry too much about the comments. Two weeks of blogging is not much time to get your audience built up. I think it was a few months before I got my first comment...and I pretty much had to beg my friends to do it. I still only average about 1 to 3 comments on an average post...more if i've been controversial or hit a timely nerve. Hang in there...it gets better! B.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the encouragement Bilbo.

    ReplyDelete